List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] Logout script
From:       Will Stephenson <wstephenson () suse ! de>
Date:       2014-01-14 10:34:03

On 14/01/14 11:05, ianseeks wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've created a logout script in ~/.kde4/shutdown to do my backup with rsync
> which works well but.. when you logout the screen goes black and i would like
> to be able to display something on it to say it has starting backing up and it
> remains there with perhaps some more progress messages until the process is
> complete.
>
> Can anyone point me the correct direction?

look in /usr/bin/startkde

Once we hit the line
"
kwrapper4 ksmserver $KDEWM $KSMSERVEROPTIONS
"

the kde session manager is running starts kwin, and startkde's execution
pauses until ksmserver exits.  After that call returns successfully, we
are in the shutdown phase of the script, and you see that
kdeinit4_shutdown is called before the .kde4/shutdown scripts are
called.  The shutdown scripts are not meant to be interactive or even
graphical, and there is no hook in startkde for the kind of scripts you
describe.  Which isn't to say you can't add them there.  Try putting in
some kdialog invocations after ksmserver returns but before
kdeinit4_shutdown.

I'm not sure however if kwin will still be running when ksmserver exits,
so any fullscreen logout effect may be shown which would obscure your
kdialog window.

Also be aware that any other processes started by ksmserver may not be
around so that may affect your backup routine.

If you can't do what you want to do as above, you might need to hack
ksmserver to do things for you on shutdown but before exiting.

HTH

Will

--
Will Stephenson
SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB