List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] https://github.com/openSUSE/libzypp/pull/14
From:       Cristian Morales Vega <reddwarf () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2012-10-26 17:37:36

On 26 October 2012 17:39, Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fredag den 26. oktober 2012 09:38:22 skrev Cristian Morales Vega:
> > On 25 October 2012 19:12, Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > Apper was only ever intended to be used as an updater applet. Nothing
> > > more,
> > > and that will continue to be the case.
> >
> > Notice that "System Settings"->"Software Management" also uses Apper
> > instead of YaST. Not just for updates.
>
> Naturally full-featured Apper is available in the installation, including the
> upstream Systemsettings KCM. But that doesn't change the fact that the only
> reason Apper is included in the default install, is because opensuseupdater
> was dropped, and a new updater applet was needed.

You make it look like if there was something that actually *forced* us
to drop kupdateapplet.

Actually in 11.2 it was there with both zypp and packagekit backends:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/binaries?package=kupdateapplet&project=DISCONTINUED%3AopenSUSE%3A11.2&repository=standard
 In 11.3 it was still there but **OPENSUSE (KDE Team)** already decided
to drop the zypp backend and use PackageKit:
http://gitorious.org/opensuse/kupdateapplet/commit/fd3e44863e3518cc3df8e850007d07602cb70161
 And for 11.4 **OPENSUSE (KDE Team)** decide to drop it completely and
leave only kpackagekit.
I am not sure if before 11.4 kpackagekit was the default updater. But
in any case it's clear that it was a decision to progresively use more
PackageKit.

In fact kupdateapplet still can be used in the latest openSUSE without
problems. It's even building!! ->
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=kupdateapplet&project=KDE%3ADistro%3AFactory
 The zypp backend is disabled, but since it doesn't use libzypp
directly I don't think it would be difficult to reenable it. If you
(the openSUSE KDE team?) really want to totally get rid of PackageKit
it's really easy. You don't need it to install local RPMs, and neither
do you need it for updates.

> But the presence of the KCM does of course add confusion for the user about
> which package management tool is the official, main, recommended, canonical one
> for openSUSE, which is one of a long list of reasons why YaST should be used
> for installation of local RPMs by default and not Apper.

I don't really follow the argument. Since everything but YaST and zypp
uses PackageKit changing the program that handles the local RPMs
**ADDs** to the confusion. Unless you remove the "Software Management"
from the "System Settins" (or make it open YaST). If the latter... OK,
but do both. And go back to kupdateapplet!! Again, nothing forced the
openSUSE KDE team to change to kpackagekit.