List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] https://github.com/openSUSE/libzypp/pull/14
From:       Martin Schlander <martin.schlander () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-26 16:39:40

Fredag den 26. oktober 2012 09:38:22 skrev Cristian Morales Vega:
> On 25 October 2012 19:12, Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Torsdag den 25. oktober 2012 17:48:17 skrev Stephan Kulow:
> >> The zypp team wants to know if it's general consense in the KDE team to
> >> depriotize apper and use yast for package management before they merge
> >> that.>
> > Apper was only ever intended to be used as an updater applet. Nothing
> > more,
> > and that will continue to be the case.
>
> Notice that "System Settings"->"Software Management" also uses Apper
> instead of YaST. Not just for updates.

Naturally full-featured Apper is available in the installation, including the
upstream Systemsettings KCM. But that doesn't change the fact that the only
reason Apper is included in the default install, is because opensuseupdater
was dropped, and a new updater applet was needed.

But the presence of the KCM does of course add confusion for the user about
which package management tool is the official, main, recommended, canonical one
for openSUSE, which is one of a long list of reasons why YaST should be used
for installation of local RPMs by default and not Apper.

> > Imho Apper should never have been preferred over YaST for handling
> > clicking on local RPM files. So that patch doesn't mark any change in the
> > prioritization of Apper - it just fixes a long standing bug.
>
> There were ever an actual bug report? If it didn't users seem to be
> happy with it (or too lazy). And if it's a "long standing" bug at this
> point perhaps they are already used to the new behaviour and going
> back would just be a new change that confuses them.

I'm sure there are tons of bugreports about Apper/KPackageKit failing to
install local RPMs. At least I've tried to guide a million people through
installing skype and other crapola with zypper on IRC, because of PackageKit
consistently failing.

If someone will stand up and say they deliberately and intentionally replaced
100% reliable, SUSE developed YaST with a Red Hat research experiment, for the
handling of an import task like local RPM installation. I might be convinced
this was not a bug from the start.

You should read some mailing lists or IRC support channels though, users want
to keep usage of PackageKit at an absolute minimum.

> > So please, pull.
>
> Since you where the one adding it to the wiki it doesn't really seem
> to add value to the argument ;-)

Well, that makes me and Terietor at least.

And I don't see anyone jumping to argue that we should put more of our fate in
the hands of PackageKit than is absolutely necessary. Did you read any reviews
about 12.2 - what was the main painpoint in 90% of them? Right, PackageKit.

Are you actually arguing for the continued pushing of Apper on users? And
placing more of our fate in the hands of PackageKit, or are you just looking
for an argument?