List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
From:       Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister () gmx ! net>
Date:       2012-09-19 10:42:52

Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012, 22:06:48 schrieb Martin Schlander:
> You can lock one or two packages, after that it becomes unmanagable. And you
> might as well fight with the regressions as fighting against the updates -
> or just switch to an OS that intends to let you be productive.

You don't lock packages but updates, i.e. one update includes more than one
package. Or alternatively, you disable the KDE update repo.

> I for one lost ffmpegthumbnail support in Dolphin with the 4.8.5 update
> which is rather annoying, and cost me at least 30 minutes of
> troubleshooting.

Didn't you test the update before it was shipped? I did not because I use
KRxy. But those clinging to "openSUSE stable" should at least test the repos
that belong to that scheme. If not even they can be bothered we can get rid of
them right away and not longer stick to the myth that KDE versions from KDS
and KDF are more tested than those from KRxy.

> KWin (Aurorae) had some bad ones very recently causing a
> flood of support queries in #kde and #suse. Also I guess you have some
> filter which hides all the e-mails to this list starting with "After the
> last update..." or similar.

As Nico pointed out. The point is not that there are no bugs but that you
ignore the fixes and the possibility to fix bugs. In fact, having KDE updates
officially gets rid of all the problems people report because they messed-up
their repos etc.

> And it's not just the fact that upstream code always has some regressions -
> big or small - there's also the packaging level with dependency issues and
> other packaging bugs.

The number of regressions is far smaller than the number of fixes. Or to put
it the other way around, there are less regressions in an update than bugs in
the shipped version. And more importantly, regressions get fixed, shipped bugs
not.

Sven