List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
From:       Nico Kruber <nico.kruber () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-09-19 10:37:39

On Wednesday 19 Sep 2012 12:22:15 Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 19. September 2012, 10:47:18 schrieb Nico Kruber:
> > Since a potential bug only influences that particular application, it is
> > not as big of a deal as a bug in a kde lib or kwin etc...
> > This is similar to the Firefox,Thunderbird release cycle for which new
> > versions are also shipped in openSUSE:Update.
>
> If you enable the repo to keep the last x built rpms users can revert as
> they can now with the updates from the official repo.

This is actually something that I came around several times now:
I updated multiple packages and something stopped working but I wasn't able to
revert to the previous ones (it should be possible with btrfs but this is
still unstable).

Only 2 options are available now:
1) revert to distro versions
2) live with the bugs

Some more elegant way to revert to (any previous) version should be available
though as the first option is rather inconvenient. Take X11:XOrg for example:
I have been using the repo on 12.1 but several packages have been split or
newly introduced in that repo. Switching back without leaving packages from
X11:XOrg was only possible manually and is not that comfortable!

This is something we should request from the zypper team though - leaving old
build packages in the repo (or some sort of repo snapshots) is just one part
of the deal...

Nico