List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
From:       Martin Schlander <martin.schlander () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-09-18 14:56:37

Tirsdag den 18. september 2012 15:12:18 skrev Raymond Wooninck:
> As Sven indicated I also have my doubts if KDE:Distro:Stable is really being
> used by anybody. It just contains the KDE version that was shipped with the
> latest openSUSE version and then compiled for all the supported openSUSE
> version. I doubt that this is really a maintained repo and I would rather
> see that this repo is replaced with one of the KR:xy repo.

Does that imply you also want to ship KRxx as official updates to the
distribution?

Meaning that every casual non-KDE fanboy user - including my mother - would be
burdened with 500 megs of updates every 2-4 weeks with regressions and changed
behaviour - unless of course the user stops using openSUSE and/or KDE.

Or does it mean you don't want to have a place to test official KDE patches at
all?

> The usage of KDF is out of the question for me. This IS and WILL ALWAYS be
> the development repo to support the KDE version in the next openSUSE
> release. However if we start utilizing the KR:xy repo's correctly and keep
> them up-to- date with the monthly minor releases, then KDF doesn't require
> to be build against the 11.4, 12.1, 12.2 repo's. KDF could just be build
> against Factory as that this is the one that matters.

I think it's very valuable that people can test KDF on (some) older distros.
Maybe with the staging stuff o:F will become less painful - but currently you
need to be a real masochist to use o:F for 5-6 months of the 8 month release
cycle.

> Sven is right that people will always tend to spend their time on the
> area/repo that they are using as that changes there directly affects them.
> So we should utilize this and make it work for us, instead of seeing it as
> a bad thing.

I think Will's proposal (always summer in KDF, branch to KDS when o:F freezes)
did that very well.

At least we should keep infrastructure in place so that _if_ one day someone
comes along, with good packaging skills and who also cares about creating
stable, polished, productive openSUSE releases with KDE, he can.