List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] Thanks (was 8.2 quirk - Knode url handling)
From:       Marian Routh <malke () elephantboycomputers ! com>
Date:       2003-04-26 12:06:55

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 21:08, O'Smith wrote:

> I take only a small credit for my knowledge Malke, as I have had and
> still do consult the masters here quite often myself.  You gotta love
> IBM compatible x86 hardware, don't you!  This stuff is so old and
> outdated still, why in the world should we have to deal with IRQs over
> 20 years after the first PC was built.  It's lunacy and should have
> been done away with as soon as Amiga came out with autoconfig zorro
> slots!
>
> You might want to set your BIOS to PNP OS=NO and that way the bios will
> set the IRQs so that the OS doesn't have to fight them.  Then you can
> probably use them again at the same time.
>
> Patrick

I didn't know that about the Amiga. I wish I had one! My BIOS is always
set to PNP NO, and the weird thing about this install is, like I said,
nothing was changed in the machine between the time it worked on 8.0/8.1
and the time it didn't on 8.2. It's a dual-boot w/WinXP, Athlon Tbird
1.2, GeForce 2 Ultra, SBLive, 512 RAM. It has 3 IDE hard drives, a
simple CD-ROM, and it used to have the Adaptec 29601N controller for the
Cheetah.

8.2 identified all the hardware correctly, but simply wouldn't allow the
sharing of the IRQ between the NIC and the Adaptec, with the end result
that I had no network access. Booting into XP showed no problem with the
NIC and everything worked fine. I first upgraded, then blew the system
away and clean installed, using different combinations of kernels,
options, etc., with no luck. Finally I gave up and took the SCSI stuff
out. I'll put it in my youngest son's box, and he'll be thrilled because
there's only one hard drive in there now.

Well, the foregoing isn't strictly KDE-related, but I appreciate your
help so much.

Thanks again and cheers,

Malke
--