List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] 8.2 quirk - Knode url handling
From:       "O'Smith" <penguin0601 () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2003-04-26 4:08:59

On Friday 25 April 2003 22:47, Marian Routh wrote:

> Patrick, you are brilliant. I looked again, and saw that the browser
> was set to Mozilla instead of Opera. No wonder the little hand turned
> into the Mozilla hand! Sorry to have taken your time with this - I
> guess I was tired and missed it. This was the worst install I've ever
> had with SuSE - on the same machine that has been happily running 8.0
> and then 8.1 for a year with the same hardware, 8.2 couldn't handle
> the NIC and the SCSI adapter sharing the same IRQ. I spent a lot of
> time with this, finally just giving up and removing the adapter and
> the Cheetah. So I had to rebuild my system and I'm sorry I missed
> such a simple configuration issue in Knode.
>
> Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it.
>
> Gratefully,
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!
************************

I take only a small credit for my knowledge Malke, as I have had and
still do consult the masters here quite often myself.  You gotta love
IBM compatible x86 hardware, don't you!  This stuff is so old and
outdated still, why in the world should we have to deal with IRQs over
20 years after the first PC was built.  It's lunacy and should have
been done away with as soon as Amiga came out with autoconfig zorro
slots!

You might want to set your BIOS to PNP OS=NO and that way the bios will
set the IRQs so that the OS doesn't have to fight them.  Then you can
probably use them again at the same time.

Patrick

--
 --- KMail v1.5.9.1i --- SuSE Linux Pro v8.2 ---
	Registered Linux User #225206