List:       suse-kde
Subject:    [suse-kde] Re: Position of Desktop Icons KDE 3.1.1
From:       Michael <michael.si () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-04-24 23:41:41

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 02:31:48PM +0100, Holger Winkler wrote:
> Hello
>
> I place my shortcuts on the Desktop, but when I login for the next time,
> all icons are misplaced. How can I save my session, so all icons remain in
> the position I prefer ?
>
> SuSE 8.2 prof. KDE 3.1.1
>

> with best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>
> Holger Winkler

Salut,

I have some difficulties with misplaced icons on the KDE-Desktop,
as well; and while I couldn't find any further information
(where can I find them?) I tried several things on my own
- with the following results:

1. When starting a KDE-session (with the beginning of the
   last step, called: "Restore session") the icons are placed
   on the Desktop according to ~/Desktop/.directory;
   that means the icons are placed in the same way
   as I arranged them during the last session.

2. The starting-process of the KDE-session is finished
   (at the end of "Restore Session") with a command like
      "dcop kdesktop KDesktopIface lineupIcons"
   (probably the same as DesktopMenu -> Icons -> Align to grid);
   therefore all the icons are arranged according to an invisible grid.

3. The hight of the rows of this grid is not fix;
   it depends on the hight of the icons and their titles.
   The highest icon defines the hight of all rows.

That's why the alignment of the icons may suddenly change
at the end of the "Restore session"-process:
Perhaps I have stored the long link to an interesting website
on the desktop (by dragging it from the browser to the desktop).
At first this will have no greater consequences;
but as soon as I start a new KDE-session the icons will be aligned
to a grid with higher rows and therefore perhaps
with quite another sequence.

My question:
Is there any possiblity to configure the start-process of KDE
so that the automatic alignment of the Desktop-icons is omitted?

Thanks in advance!

Michael