List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] KDE 3.1 on 8.1, yet again
From:       Richard Bos <allabos () freeler ! nl>
Date:       2003-02-04 20:44:09

Op dinsdag 4 februari 2003 16:41, schreef KMcLauchlan@chrysalis-its.com:
> <snipped Kristian's post>

> > KDM is part of kdebase3-kdm-3.1-51 and installs to
> > /opt/kde3/bin/kdm in Suse Linux 8.1.
> >
> > Kristian
>

> OK, thanks.  That's likely what I'll be doing tonight, then.  :-)

Kevin,

I'm a little disappointed in reading your post, sorry to say.   Did you read
the webpage about apt (let's say) for suse?  It contains many answers on the
question you posted.  Including the question directly below.  The "howto" can
be found at http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm

> By the way, anybody, is the ftp.kde.org site faster than
> the ftp.gwdg.de site?

See http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net select repositories from the left frame and
look for SuSE.

> My original major update (that I said took 18 hours)
> was done via my ADSL connection, but apt-get reported
> speeds between 200B/s and 28.6kB/s, mostly with the
> gwdg site.
>
> While we are on the topic, can somebody please let
> me know what I *should* have done to have the KDE3.1
> install and work directly off the repository(ies)??
>
> What is so special about KDE3.1 that it is more resistant
> to installing than any of 1000 other packages that
> successfully went in?

It is not, it will only update about ~20 pkgs. As stated on the "howto" page
you should remove the component base among many other (suse-people e.g)
components.
http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/faq.html#q27

As the "howto" page stated in case of doubt ask the apt4rpm-suse emaillist.
It would have saved you a lot of time, effort and bytes.

> In order to get a working KDE3.1 onto my system, I
> would have been HAPPY to sacrifice existing programs
> from my system, if they somehow conflicted.  I would
> equally have been HAPPY to forget about any pending
> non-KDE3.1 updates/upgrades if THEY were somehow in conflict.

In your case: only include the components "kde" and "kde3-stable" in the
/etc/apt/sources.list file.  Now do an apt-get upgrade and see what you get.

> I made choices with apt-get, and then with synaptic,
> to resolve any reported conflicts or dependency problems,
> before I gave the big go-ahead. Why would it still crap out?

YOU is not as strict concerning rpm dependencies as apt.

> My rpm database was in whatever state YaST/YOU had left it.
> I have never installed ANY apps from source. I have
> never issued a --force or --nodeps (to my knowledge).

BTW: you may still have conflicts according apt, but these should be resolved
easily.

> Is there a command option for apt-get that says
> "I don't care what you have to do to get KDE3.1 in
> and working, just do it"??

Now of course not!  Apt cares about a consistent (packages wise) system.

> I don't mean --nodeps, or anything that will leave me
> with a bunch of time-bombs.  I mean, if a package/program/
> library already on my system is in conflict, then that
> package/program/library gets ripped out, automatically,
> and KDE3.1 goes in.  Is there a way to do that without
> going package-by-package, by hand?  I figure that once I
> had KDE3.1 working and stable, I could worry about
> re-installing other apps that were sacrificed... or finding
> replacements could peacefully co-exist.

You probably get a message telling that some packages (among kdebase3, kdelibs
etc) are being kept back.
Just continue with those packages by executing apt-get install kdebase3
You'll will be prompted that Keramik will be replaced by rpm X answer yes and
continue -> apt-get -s upgrade or just apt-get install <any packages you
like>

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless