List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] How to install the KDE 3.1 ?
From:       David Herman <ob1 () yifan ! net>
Date:       2003-01-31 16:22:51

On Friday 31 January 2003 07:45 am, Allen Seelye wrote:
-----------snip----------

> I'm not sure if this method will apply to SuSE 8.1 or not. I'm
> running 7.3 and it has worked well for me. I noticed, from kde3.0 on,
> that trying to install kde manually using rpm -Uvh... would always
> come back with dependancy errors if I didn't install them in the
> correct order. I found it easier to just fire up YaST(1), point it to
> the folder where my rpms are stored, select everything in the folder
> and let YaST install them. If it needs another package it goes
> through the list to see if it's there before spitting out an error
> message.

Unfortunately SuSE apparently found this functionality to be
unnescissary in 8.0/8.1. No amount of user griping (on this list) has
been able to change their position

Its the one thing I really miss being able to do. It finally forced me
to learn how to use apt4suse.

see ya
--
dh