List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] How to install the KDE 3.1 ?
From:       "Allen Seelye" <aseelye () blackfoot ! net>
Date:       2003-01-31 15:45:11

> Hallo
>
> Do any one have any advice on installing the KDE rpm's ? Previously I have

> only installed single stand alone packages not interfering with earlier
> installations. (running suse 8.0)
>
> Now, there is no "meta-rpm" ? If it was it would be a YOU facility - right
?
> So how do one proceed with the rpms supplied by suse ? Do I install one after

> the another starting from the bottom (earliest first) with the KDE
> "basispaketen" and then onwards in the same manner with the "KDE
> Applikationen" ? Is the order of any importance ?
>
> Is there any need to halt in the process and make some diagnostics or is it

> supposed to work anyway ? Will it work to install the rpm's while the KDE

> 3.0.5 is up an running ?
>
> Seems like a risky business though. Any way back (besides the backups) ? Will

> it be possible to get back by reinstalling the packages supplied on the
> suse8.0 installation cd's ? In that case, should I remove the installed rpm's

> (rpm -e) before returning to the safe harbour of the suse installation cd's
?

> I have searched the kde.org but not found any reassuring documentation to help

> me.
>
> Any suselogicians out there ?
>
> I would apreciate any advice on these matters.
>
> Thank's
>

> --
> Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

I'm not sure if this method will apply to SuSE 8.1 or not. I'm running 7.3 and
it has worked well for me. I noticed, from kde3.0 on, that trying to install
kde manually using rpm -Uvh... would always come back with dependancy errors
if I didn't install them in the correct order. I found it easier to just fire
up YaST(1), point it to the folder where my rpms are stored, select everything
in the folder and let YaST install them. If it needs another package it goes
through the list to see if it's there before spitting out an error message.
If the required package is there then it installs it and goes back to where
it left off. This also runs SuSEconfig for you when it's done installing.
If you do this make sure to read over the log file before closing YaST to make
sure that everything installed correctly. I've never had any problems with it
but it never hurts to be thorough.
Hope that helps.
-Allen
Aseelye@blackfoot.net
ICQ# 8286205
http://www.geocities.com/alleninmt
-
Problems? There are no problems. If there were problems, they would be your fault. \
If, hypothetically speaking, there were a problem and it wasn't your fault, we \
couldn't help you with it. That's not a supported configuration.