List:       sun-managers
Subject:    MX record vs aliases file
From:       Lynda.L.Kempter () woodside ! com ! au
Date:       1998-01-30 15:30:03

Greetings all,

I'm attempting to discover the relationship between the
DNS MX records and the mail aliases database on a system
running Solaris 2.5.1.  The MX records for our domain indicate
a system inside the firewall.  That's fine and works well.
However, I'd like to have a local aliases database on the
firewall itself for particular names.  It would seem that external
mail checks the MX record on the firewall and delivers all mail
to the internal mail hub directly without consulting the firewall's
aliases.  Mail sent on the firewall itself *does* access the
aliases database.

The primary reason for wishing to do this is to retain a measure
of control over particular aliases, for example, to subscribe to
this list as the alias "sunusers" which explodes upon arrival
at the firewall to send each list message to all the unix technical
people in the company.  The internal mail hub indicated by the
MX record is an NT system over which we have no control, so
changes to its alias database would be more difficult.

Could there possibly be some parameter in the sendmail config
or otherwise to force sendmail to check its aliases database *
before* the MX record?

Many thanks for any pointers.  I'll summarize.

Cheers,
Lyn