List:       sun-managers
Subject:    Stopping System during Backup
From:       sunny () tet ! uni-hannover ! de (Root mail receive)
Date:       1997-11-28 9:01:53

Hallo all,

On my Sun-sparc, running Solaris 2.5.1. (+recommended patches) and NIS I try to \
backup the homes on the one machine_1 to the tape device on a remote machine_2. I am \
doing this with tar, rsh, dd like this from the machine_1:

tar cvfb - 20 <dir_to_backup> | rsh <machine_2> dd of=<backup_device> obs=20b

On my system this was running one day, but now the following happens:
The machine_1 ist hanging without any error messages. The only way to solve is to \
turn off the power.

Does somebody know how to solve this problem? I tested many things, like removing all \
parallel cronjobs, rebooting all machines and fsck on all drives.

Thanks in advance,
christoph