List:       sun-managers
Subject:    FAQ5.7: ufsdump specifics?
From:       Hugh Sasse <hgs () dmu ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2009-10-29 17:51:02

Apologies for the topic of this question.  I've tried to find the
answer to this by web searches, and have read the FAQ. 5.7 is a good
answer, but I could do with more specifics.  Is there an
authoritative answer for DDS4 tapes as to the parameters one should
use, please?  These are 120 feet, so I'm thinking

ufsdump -0ufs /dev/nrst0 110 <disk_to_backup>

would be about right, on the premise that the blocking is sorted out
correctly anyway, it is isn't a QIC, so -c may not be appropriate or
may be detected anyway, and 110 is "a bit" shorter than 120 feet, as
per `man ufsdump`.  It is a SCSI drive, and the sytem is Suno5.9.
Have I missed anything important, please?

I've been landed with doing backups for this system which has not
been supported locally, so can't get at the options used before, and
primarily they want this sorted out soon, and I don't want to create
dud backups.  "First, do no harm", etc.

Will summarize to list, as per policy.
        Thank you,
        Hugh