List:       sun-managers
Subject:    Hardware recommendations for Java app and Sybase DB servers
From:       <John.Hallman () wellsfargo ! com>
Date:       2009-09-28 6:56:27

Strictly keeping the conversation limited to SPARC hardware.

I'm being tasked to refresh the current production environment with SPARC
servers to keep performance for the next year where we plan to migrate to
Intel/Linux OS

My current production is
2x e2900's x 4x dual core cpus @ 1800Mhz x 32GB RAM for the app servers.
1x v490 x 4x dual core cpus @ 1800 Mhz x 64GB RAM for the Sybase server

The application is calypso - a 100% java 1.5 application with one main Java
process that distributes jobs to smaller java processes with 400 concurrent
users.
The main java process - 10Gb HEAP will run on one box while all the other java
processes - 512MB to 6GB Heap sizes, mostly single threaded will run on box
The main java process connects to Sybase, all connections will be gigabit.
The e2900's have plenty of slots for more CPU's/memory but the price tag was a
bit high considering I could get faster hardware for less.
We might migrate to Java 6 as well somewhere before migrating to the Linux.

We are leaning on the m4000 for Sybase so I'd like to hear your experience
with the m line or a different recommendation for the Sybase server as well as
your experience and recommendations for the app servers.

Thanks