List:       struts-dev
Subject:    Re: Struts-faces
From:       Craig McClanahan <craigmcc () apache ! org>
Date:       2004-07-06 6:49:48

Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

>>In principle, this makes perfect sense.  It'll be easy if
>>you've split
>>the MyFaces jars into api and impl classes (like the RI
>>does), because
>>then it's just a matter of setting up your own
>>build.properties file and
>>defining "jsf-api.jar" and "jsf-impl.jar" appropriately.
>>

>no, not now. but i mean also the use of myfaces
>in the examples. so it would be much easier
>for users, since JSF (myfaces) is delivered directly
>
>for running the WAR-files.

I'm perfectly happy to make using MyFaces configurable easily in our
build scripts.

But I'm -1 on including MyFaces in any Struts distribution until it has
passed the TCK tests to certify that it is a compatible implementation
of JavaServer Faces.  Assistance in making that happen is one of the
benefits you'll get by becoming an Apache project (once MyFaces passes
through the incubation process), because Apache already has access to
all the relevant TCK tests without having to apply for the scholarship
that is available for non-profit orgs.

But, until it does, it would be a disservice to Struts users to package
something that represents itself as being JSF when it hasn't been proven
to be so.

Regarding the split of JARs, I would recommend you do that
(javax.faces.* versus everything else) if you have not done so yet.  The
primary benefit is that users of MyFaces will only need the API jar in
their compile time classpath, and will therefore not be tempted to
program directly to the implementation classes and therefore lock
themselves in to MyFaces (instead of being portable to anyone's JSF
implementation).

You'll need to include both the API and IMPL jars in a webapp, of
course, but that's already taken care of by the build scripts for the
struts-faces examples (assuming you configure the properties correctly).

>matthias

Craig