List:       stampede-linux-user
Subject:    Re: ppp + callback
From:       Gabe Ricard <gabe () stampede ! org>
Date:       1999-05-05 13:53:28

Well, I suppose you could use getty on the serial line for the modem, and
have it log you in or run sme script that would ask for the
password/information. I don't really know how you would do that though.
The thing is, if you have that machine call you then you would technically
be the PPP server and the machine that is supposed to be the server is now
the client.

Do you want for the machine you are going to dial in to to give you an IP
address that resolves on the internet ? I suppose then when you are
running the pppd daemon as a server you must tell it what IP you want to
use as the server and what the client's IP is. I'm not sure but I think
you'd have to have the machine at your office then setup a forwarding
route for the ppp connection so that you can send traffic to the internet
via the uplink on your lan. You would probably also have to have the
machine at your office accepting packets for the PPP dialup IP address of
your home machine and then forward it to the ppp connection.

This seems like it would be very complicated. Why not just setup for
machine at the office as a dialin PPP server as described in the PPP
HOWTO?

--
Gabe Ricard
The Stampede Linux Foundation