List:       ssl-users
Subject:    Re: [ssl-users] send encrypted s/mime message for Netscape to read?
From:       Erwann ABALEA <eabalea () certplus ! com>
Date:       1999-02-15 9:45:16

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Theodore Hope wrote:

> I need to send a message to a Netscape user (S/MIME), and encrypt
> it using the cert he's sent me in a signed message.   (In other
> words, I'm want my script to behave like another Netscape Mail).
>
> I know the answer to this is very simple, but I find myself unable
> to put together all the appropriate pieces.
>
> Presumably I would extract his public key from the PKCS-7 Signature
> (smime.p7s).  What would be the steps involved here?  (Should I
> be using Steve Henson's "pkcs12" here?)

No need to use the pkcs12 tool, since the smime.p7s is not a pkcs#12
packet. Just use 'ssleay pkcs7 -in smime.p7s -print_certs' to export the
certificates contained in the smime.p7s message...

The next steps are left as an exercise.... ;-)

--
Erwann ABALEA
System and Development Engineer - Certplus SA