List:       ssic-linux-users
Subject:    Re: [SSI-devel] Re: [SSI-users] Full HA with only 2 computers  ??
From:       Jaideep Dharap <Jaideep.Dharap () hp ! com>
Date:       2004-05-24 22:58:59

Andreas wrote:

> I was able to follow the instructions in the how-to. But now I have a
> problem. I have a configuration with two nodes (Debian). node 1 is the
> initnode. After node 2 boots the resync process is started. After that
> the cluster works fine. The problem I have is with the failover. After
> I turn off node 1 node 2 takes over. While recovering it starts the
> script rc.sysrecover I think that script must be updated two. For
> DEVICE it still calls findfs. I changed that line to DEVICE=/dev/nbd/0
> and it works fine. Before I did that /etc/mtab was wrong because
> fix_mtab wasn't called. The output of df was
>

> NOTAVAIL     3842376    3113847    256799    90%    /
>

> But like I said that was easy to fix. Was that correct?

That is correct. Thanks for pointing it out. I will add that to the
How-to :-).

> The next problem I have is that after the failover I try to reboot
> node 2 (the last remaining node in the cluster) and I get a kernel
> panic. That accurs when the system tries to unmount the lokal
> filesystems.

Do you have the panic trace that we can look at? I havent seen this
problem yet.

> Another problem I have is with the bootmanager. I still use lilo, but
> the problem is after the sync with the node 1 lilo does not work any
> longer. I think while the syncronisation the mbr of the disc of node 2
> is changed so that lilo cannot work. After I start node 2 with a
> knoppix cd and call lilo again (after chroot) I works again.

OpenSSI supports grub and thats what I have been using here. If there is
no particular reason you are running lilo, I would
suggest changing to grub. If you absolutely have to use lilo for some
reason. Try running /sbin/lilo on the second node manually after sync.

The other thing that I should mention is related to /boot in general:
1. Preferably /boot should be its own partition seperate from the
drbd-mirrored root partition. If /boot is part of the
drbd-mirrorer partition I would suggest trying out the following. In
/etc/clustertab remove the boot device from all nodes and leave the
field vacant. This is because ssi-ksync has a particular way of syncing
the boot partitions that wont work too well with a drbd-mirrored /boot.

            Jai.