List:       ssic-linux-users
Subject:    Re: [SSI-users] Full HA with only 2 computers  ?? --- Drbd root-failover
From:       Andreas <roos () convis ! de>
Date:       2004-05-24 13:42:23

Hello

Jaideep Dharap wrote:

> I have tried drbd-root failover succesfully. I have compiled a tar-ball
> that includes a How-to, sample configuration files
> and the openssi-enabled drbd code. The process does require manual
> tweaking of the ramdisk since it is not yet integrated
> it with mkinitrd and installation. But the steps are pretty
> straightforward and outlined in the How-to.
> The tar ball is available at
>     http://www.openssi.org/contrib/.
> I am working on a rpm that should install the modules and drbd utilities
> on an openssi cluster. Right now the tar-ball
> contains code that needs to be compiled and installed.
> Let me know if there are any questions and let us all know how it goes
> for you if you  do end up doing drbd-failover :-).
>                             Jai.

I was able to follow the instructions in the how-to. But now I have a
problem. I have a configuration with two nodes (Debian). node 1 is the
initnode. After node 2 boots the resync process is started. After that
the cluster works fine. The problem I have is with the failover. After I
turn off node 1 node 2 takes over. While recovering it starts the script
rc.sysrecover I think that script must be updated two. For DEVICE it
still calls findfs. I changed that line to DEVICE=/dev/nbd/0 and it
works fine. Before I did that /etc/mtab was wrong because fix_mtab
wasn't called. The output of df was

NOTAVAIL 	3842376	3113847	256799	90%	/

But like I said that was easy to fix. Was that correct?

The next problem I have is that after the failover I try to reboot node
2 (the last remaining node in the cluster) and I get a kernel panic.
That accurs when the system tries to unmount the lokal filesystems.

Another problem I have is with the bootmanager. I still use lilo, but
the problem is after the sync with the node 1 lilo does not work any
longer. I think while the syncronisation the mbr of the disc of node 2
is changed so that lilo cannot work. After I start node 2 with a knoppix
cd and call lilo again (after chroot) I works again.

I hope anybody have some ideas how to help.

Andreas