List:       ssic-linux-devel
Subject:    [SSI-devel] Re: initramfs
From:       "Brian J. Watson" <Brian.J.Watson () hp ! com>
Date:       2005-04-29 0:05:56

En Chiang Lee wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I've been adding the SSI changes to the FC3 mkinitrd, and it's at a
> stage where the initrd created looks right. The initrd created is
> actually a cpio archive (initramfs) for 2.6 kernels.
>
> The problem now is that when I try to boot with this initrd, if fails with
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found
>
> I'm not sure how the initramfs stuff works, so I've attached the
> mkinitrd to see if there's anything that's seriously wrong.
>
> Does the kernel have to be built with some option for cpio archives to
> work?
>
> En Chiang

Hi En Chiang,

I'm not exactly sure what's wrong. It's possible that some of the
OpenSSI changes to init/main.c are interfering with how initramfs is
supposed to work.

Can we delay on this issue by forcing mkinitrd to always build an
old-style initrd if $ssi_boot is set? If so, please add an SSI_XXX
comment next to that change, to explain why initramfs isn't being used.

BTW, another test that should be run is whether mkinitrd without the
--cfs option can successfully build an initramfs that is virtually
identical to what the base mkinitrd would produce.

Thanks,

Brian