List:       sqwebmail
Subject:    Re: [sqwebmail] SQwebmail is not displaying HTML messages properly
From:       Brian Candler <B.Candler () pobox ! com>
Date:       2003-10-23 9:00:11

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 08:34:10PM -0600, Stephen Harmon wrote:
>    I am running version 3.34 of SQWebmail.  Whenever I view an HTML
>    message
>    through SQWebmail it will not display properly.  Sometimes it is just
>    the images that will not show up, and at other times the HTML code
>    actually shows and not the inteded page.  Do I need to simply upgrade
>    or can I fix it another way.  I know that version 3.6.0 is out and had
>    some
>    major changes, including HTML support.  Any help would be appreciated.

sqwebmail has had HTML support for quite a long time, although upgrading to
3.6.0 would be a good idea if only because it makes support easier (i.e. any
problems you find are much more likely to be fixed in a current code base)

sqwebmail purposely does not display in-line images if they are referenced
from a remote webserver (i.e. img src="http://..../") because they are a
huge security hole in received mail. For the same reason it also strips out
anything that looks like active scripting. See sqwebmail/SECURITY in the
source distro for more information.

If some HTML pages view as HTML tags, then I would guess that the original
HTML was corrupt or invalid (i.e. it has wrong MIME headers or the HTML
itself is invalid). I'd imagine that quite a lot of spam falls into this
category.

Regards,

Brian.