List:       sqwebmail
Subject:    [sqwebmail] Trouble sending attachments with SQWebmail 3.4
From:       fred () webinmotion ! net
Date:       2002-10-31 18:49:58

Hi There,

I have been running an older version of vpopmail and SQWebmail for a year
or so. A few days ago I came across some problems... one thing led to
another, and I decided to upgrade to the newer versions.     I installed
vpopmail 5.2.1 with MySQL authentication (working OK), and then installed
the latest version of SQWebmail (marked as 3.4.0.20021026) .

I am having trouble with sending attachments from SQWebmail. When I attach
a file to the message and send it to another SQWebmail users, the
attachments come back just fine, but when a regular POP client (tested with
Outlook Express) receives such a message from an SQWebmail user, the
attachment's file names get changed to a short name like ATT00045.doc . For
file types other than word, the file extension also often gets changed to
.dat so that an attachment like "WIM Simple Network Diagram.vsd" ( a MS
Viso Drawing) will appear to the recipient as ATT0053.dat.

This is causing a few of my customers to get quite annoyed with me, so if
anyone has an answer to this, I would love to hear about a fix.

As a side note: When I try the same test from the SQWebMail installation on
Inter7 (http://webmail.inter7.com) I do not see this bug. The attachments
come through just fine.

Regards,

--