List:       squirrelmail-stable
Subject:    Re: [SM-STABLE] X-Authentication-Warning: * httpd set sender to *
From:       simon () igrin ! co ! nz
Date:       2003-04-08 23:08:37

> Hi,
>
> Ever since the new stable each email using sendmail has
> this header added to it. I've been receiving lots of
> complaints about it. What is the best way to
> not have it appear in this server's emails?
>
> The particular server is safe enough and is not being
> abused in any way possible, so to me this 'warning'
> is rather confusing and over the top.
>
> I understand it must be sendmail doing this, but somehow
> it wasn't there with the old SM versions, so whatever
> is causing it to be there; Can I switch it off globally?
>
> Any help highly appreciated,

That error message is actually caused by sendmail, not Squirelmail, it
sounds like you have the option "Sendmail or SMTP" under server settings
set to Sendmail.

What this does is passes messages users are sending to a local copy of
sendmail using a shell. In your sendmail.cf file there will be some lines
that look like:

#####################
#   Trusted users   #
#####################

# this is equivalent to setting class "t"
#Ft/etc/mail/trusted-users
Troot
Tdaemon
Tuucp

Those are 'users' (system accounts) that are allowed to use the -f option
without generating a warning message. Because your apache user is not
listed, you get the error.

Two choices - add the user that apache runs under to the trusted-users
file or directly to sendmail.cf. (Not recommended, because now any apache
script can use sendmail -f without a warning)

Or change Squirelmail to use SMTP for sending messages directly to your
normal SMTP server, instead of going through a local copy of sendmail.
(Prefered, IMO)

Regards,
Simon