List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Re: Whitelists in SA
From:       John Hardin <jhardin () impsec ! org>
Date:       2009-12-21 4:54:25

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009, jdow wrote:

> I'm just a touch naive here; but, it seems to me it should be possible,
> somehow, to build running spamd daemons, one with the regular rules
> and one with the mass check rules.

There's nothing special about "masscheck rules". Masscheck is just running
the current ruleset against hand-classified corpora (ideally _large_
hand-classified corpora) to see what hits.

> The second one is fed the email in parallel with the first but deletes
> the mail once the scores are logged.

This can easily be done by analysis of spamd logs. It logs all the rules
hit on every message scanned.

> The downside is that this is not "confirmed ham" and "confirmed spam".

That unfortunately is the critical part. You can easily glean whether or
not SA thinks a message is "spammy" and what rules led to that
classification, the tough part is confirming whether or not it's _right_.

> I wonder how much companies would pay for a part time SpamAssassin
> honcho who can be trusted (bonded?) and can write SARE-ish rules
> tailored to the company's email. Is there a job opportunity for
> somebody here?

I'd do that.