List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Non-English languages (was: xxxl spam)
From:       Kenneth Porter <shiva () sewingwitch ! com>
Date:       2006-04-14 4:46:51

On Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:32 PM -0600 "Paul R. Ganci"
<ganci@nurdog.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately I am still a linguistic idiot and only speak English ... a
> Buffalo, NY version at that! My grand parents came over from Italy in
> 1920 and promptly stopped speaking Italian around my parents. It forced
> my parents to learn English at the cost of never learning Italian. There
> is plently of room to accomodate two languages but neither the US
> education system or home life is set up to do it.

Same here. I took a couple years of high school Spanish in California and
the classes dragged so incredibly slowly that I learned just a little
vocabulary and the most basic of grammar, and still led the class. I
usually finished my physics homework in that class while waiting for
everyone to catch up.

As a programmer I envy my professional peers who can speak Japanese and
other non-European languages. My interest in programming languages extends
to natural languages, and I find their differences fascinating.

To those of you who've successfully learned 2nd and 3rd languages as an
adult, what do you recommend for accomplishing that?