List:       spacewalk-devel
Subject:    [Spacewalk-devel] Merging the bootstrap-css branch
From:       "Duncan Mac-Vicar P." <dmacvicar () suse ! de>
Date:       2013-10-30 13:51:45

Hi astronauts

We would like to start discussing a merge of the bootstrap-css branch.
As you may know, the name is very technology specific but the work has a
wider goal in mind. In case you haven't followed it, we prepared a blog
post:

http://duncan.mac-vicar.com/2013/10/30/modernizing-spacewalks-user-interfac=
e/

So what is the state of the work?

[x] Layout
[x] Java widgets (Nav, Toolbar, List)
[x] Perl layout
[x] Forms
[x] Prototype -> jQuery port
[x] Fontawesome icon infrastructure
[x] Spacewalk "black theme"

Right now there is stuff we would like to fix grouped in various areas:

[ ] Perl data list
[ ] Port all icons .gif -> fonticon
[ ] Hidden cosmetic details in pages we haven't seen yet.
[ ] JSP tags testcases

- The perl data list is in our TODO list.
- For the port of all .gif icons we still need to draw some replacements
and this may be an ongoing task. We are then building an equivalence map
and will use the a tool we wrote to aid on the conversion to do a
translation once the map is completed:
https://github.com/dmacvicar/spacewalk-ui-porting
(We also are using this tool to help us sanitize the html, port styles,
etc).
- Hidden cosmetic details is something that will popup as we find issues
and get feedback
- The testcases are WIP. You have seen with previous patches that we
care about the Java test cases because we are running them, and
therefore we will work on this.

Right now having a branch is blocking another features where we want to
make use of the new css infrastructure and components, therefore it is
our wish to do a first merge as soon as possible. This does not mean
that we will stop working on it, but that we want to do the merges in
stages. Also, I would really love to have other people gving feedback,
contributing, learning and improving the new look&feel.

I would like to discuss the previous open items. Which ones would be a
requisite for a 1st stage merge, which ones could be delayed to a second
merge in some weeks from now.

Regards,

-- =

Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - http://www.suse.com/

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix
Imend=F6rffer, HRB 16746 (AG N=FCrnberg)
Maxfeldstra=DFe 5, 90409 N=FCrnberg, Germany