List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support]
From:       "Christian Franke" <Christian.Franke () t-online ! de>
Date:       2007-08-22 11:19:43

Dan Rossi wrote:

> The HPT has SMART information for each attached device inside its
> admin console. Though its totally not usable or pollable to display
> some kind of alert for thresholds ie temperatures, or into a client
> monitor gui, its pretty poxy and basic really, you have to specify the
> drive in the device view and then click the SMART icon to get some of
> its information.

This is the typical functionality behind the  "S.M.A.R.T monitoring"
feature advertised in the controller data sheets ;-(

I'm not familiar with HPT controllers. As far as I understand the 3320
UserManual.pdf, it provides remote access to controller configuration
via some TCP protocol. Some (apparently Windows-only) GUI program is
used for this purpose. A command line tool is missing.

Some other controllers use a web browser. It is e.g. easy to remotely
access SMART attributes from a 3ware controller with a simple script
using wget and smartctl. This is not easy with HPT due to the
proprietary TCP protocol.

> Well the Marvell is on the motherboard, it just expands 3 more drives
> from the 4 internal ones on the Intel controller.  And even they don't
> display SMART information.

AFIAK, the Intel AHCI driver supports SMART, the RAID driver doesn't.

Christian