List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] SmartTools & Vista
From:       Christian Franke <Christian.Franke () t-online ! de>
Date:       2006-08-19 16:10:07

Thomas Barnes wrote:

> I have a beta copy of Vista, am trying to run SmartTools, and getting
> "cannot open device \\PhysicalDrive0, Error=5"  Smartctl open
> device:  /dev/hda failed:  Operation not permitted".   I am using the
> same command I use on XP machines (smartctl -a /dev/hda).
>
> Has anyone started to use SmartTools with Vista that can help me get
> around these obstacles?  Is there something in the Vista security
> model that is locking me out from using the tools?  Is it just the
> drive I happen to be using?

On Vista, administrators have no longer administrator privileges after
login.

One of the following should help:
- Run smartctl with build-in "Administrator" account, or
- mark smartctl.exe to run with full privileges.

See "Indicating a Program Always Runs with Full Administrator Privileges":
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/feat/uaprot.mspx#ECG

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers,

Christian