List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] 3ware under Windows or Cygwin?
From:       Christian Franke <Christian.Franke () t-online ! de>
Date:       2006-08-19 13:39:09

Vladyslav Kosulin wrote:

> Hi,
> Do you guys have any plans on supporting 3ware 9550 under Windows or Cygwin?
> I use XP Pro 64 with SATA RAID 10, and analyzing raw SMART output for all my
> drives is not what I love to do ;-)

Like most (or all?) other windows drivers for RAID controllers, the
3ware driver does not support the standard I/O controls for SMART.
(http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/#FAQ-win-ata-as-scsi)

As far as I understand the related KB article 10080
(http://www.3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=10080), 3ware provides a
command line level tool "tw_cli" to dump "SMART information" (?-) in hex
format.

This tool likely uses vendor specific system calls to access this data.
It would be possible to add 3ware support to smartmontools if 3ware
provides documentation about these calls. But AFAIK this is not the case
for the windows driver.

It might also be possible to call tw_cli from smartctl and parse its
output. But I don't have access to a 3ware controller to test this.

Cheers,

Christian