List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    [smartmontools-support]smartd - best practice?
From:       "Gary Funck" <gary () intrepid ! com>
Date:       2005-08-23 15:42:09

Right now, we run the -H (health test) option via smartd on all our
system disks, which per the manual page tests for changes in
pre-fail attributes that signal an imminent disk failure.  We don't
run self-tests, but I'm thinking that we should.  What is the recommended
interval for running self tests?  Is there any merit in running the
short tests, or should we also run the long tests?