List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    [smartmontools-support]Disk cowardly refuses to enable SMART after failures
From:       Leon Woestenberg <leonw () mailcan ! com>
Date:       2005-08-22 14:23:09

Hello all,

I have a disk that fails in the sense that somewhere near the end of the
disk (roughly at 98% of the highest LBA) it starts to return medium
errors. The disk has been dropped on the floor, which is the
cause of these errors - It is now a welcome test subject for SMART :-)

Using smartmontools 5.33, it has always been behaving properly with
regards to queries. However, since the drop and errors, it now cowardly
refuses to enable SMART, or so it seems.

smartmontools reports "SMART enabled" directly followed by "SMART
disabled. Use -s on to enable SMART", i.e. contradicting itself.

What can I try more than I already tried below?

Note that this drive is accessed using the "Marvell" access methods,
under 2.4.28-31 Linux, as follows (see below).

Regards,

Leon Woestenberg.

[root@tracs root]# smartctl -d marvell -i  /dev/sdb
smartctl version 5.33 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce
Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:    ST3200822AS
Serial Number:    3LJ0YB2A
Firmware Version: 3.01
User Capacity:    200,049,647,616 bytes
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:  6
ATA Standard is:  ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D revision 2
Local Time is:    Tue Jul 19 12:39:03 2005 UTC
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.
[root@tracs root]# smartctl -d marvell -s on -o on -S on /dev/sdb
smartctl version 5.33 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce
Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF ENABLE/DISABLE COMMANDS SECTION ===
SMART Enabled.
SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.
[root@tracs root]# echo $?
0
[root@tracs root]# smartctl -d marvell -s on -H /dev/sdb