List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    [smartmontools-support]link to a broken file
From:       Gabriele Pohl <contact () dipohl ! de>
Date:       2004-05-30 8:55:07

Hi Bruce,

first I want to thank for your rich documentation on smartmontools!

second I want to give a notice about the following:
The Document "Revision 1.4 of  SFF-8055i "S.M.A.R.T. Applications Guide for
the ATA and SCSI Interfaces" which one can download from the link
ftp://ftp.ds2.pg.gda.pl/pub/macro/S.M.A.R.T./8055.PDF
is broken.

third I have a question: I would like to interprete the attribute report
for my defect disc - Device Model:  Maxtor 34098H4
Although you write in the article at the Linux Journal, that all "the
names/meanings of Attributes and the interpretation are vendor specific"
I hope that there is some documentation about general meanings,
which possibly may differ for some vendors, but help me getting
an idea for the thing, that is spoken about.

Can you give some links to *background information*
that help me understand the attributes?

In my case, the error is:
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   001   001   063    Pre-fail  Always
FAILING_NOW 637

I've got my data already copied to a new disc,
but I am curious to learn what has happened in this case.

Thanks for your support!

Gabriele