List:       sisuite-users
Subject:    Re: [sisuite-users] FATAL : Kernel too old
From:       David.Livingstone () cn ! ca
Date:       2007-09-17 22:43:39

--=_alternative 007CD7B487257359_=

Andrea,

Thanks for the reply.

 I used the standard image and this was successful.

 All our machines are HP Proliant DL/ML servers with Smart Array
 controllers(ie /dev/cciss). We currently have a mix of RHEL3/4 with
 the RHEL3 machines using the 2.4 kernel.

David.Livingstone@cn.ca wrote:

> Andrea,
>
>  Thanks for the reply.
>
>  What options do I have ?
>
> - Try and boot using the standard(included) kernel ?

For this you should try to install the systemimager-boot-standard-3.9.6 in
your
image server before, to have more chances for your hw to be properly
recognized.

After the install remember to update your kernel+initrd.img in your
/tftpboot
and restart the systemimager-bittorrent daemons (only if you're using the
BT
transport).

A problem you can find with this approach is that in recent kernels the
IDE disk
naming schema has changed and all these devices are now mapped in /dev/sd*
(look
for hda -> sda transition problem in google for details). So, if you're
using an
old kernel (actually 2.4 is old in any case), one or more IDE disks and
you're
not using UUIDs or LABELs in your autoinstallscript.conf probably you can
find
some problems during the first reboot.

> - Try an boot using a uyok from a similar machine using a 2.6 kernel.
> Will this
>    work ?

Yes, this is another valid solution, to try with a different boot package
made
with a 2.6 kernel. The hda -> sda problem is still valid.

> - Build from source on the 2.4 machine. This looks like the cleanest
> solution. I have
>   downloaded the 3.9.6 tar source however I'm not sure how to build the
> rpm's. I have
>   looked at the online docs " rpmbuild -ta tarball" however after
> looking at the Makefile
>   I see a "rpm" target which does a "rpmbuild -tb". Also my machines are
> behind a
>   firewall and can only connect to the internet via a proxy.

This would be the cleanest solution, but one of the 2 solutions above is
surely
quicker.

> Wouldn't virtulization allow you to build both glibc versions on the
> same platform ?

Yes, but since the build server is my laptop: 1) I don't have enough disk
space
free 2) probably the building process would require an entire night... :-)

-Andrea

--=_alternative 007CD7B487257359_=

this was successful.</font>
DL/ML servers with Smart Array</font>
currently have a mix of RHEL3/4 with</font>
kernel.</font>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Andrea,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp;Thanks for the reply.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp;What options do I have ?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; - Try and boot using the standard(included) kernel ?<br>
</tt></font>
in your<br>
image server before, to have more chances for your hw to be properly recognized.<br>
</tt></font>
in your /tftpboot<br>
and restart the systemimager-bittorrent daemons (only if you're using the
BT<br>
transport).<br>
</tt></font>
in recent kernels the IDE disk<br>
naming schema has changed and all these devices are now mapped in /dev/sd*
(look<br>
for hda -&gt; sda transition problem in google for details). So, if you're
using an<br>
old kernel (actually 2.4 is old in any case), one or more IDE disks and
you're<br>
not using UUIDs or LABELs in your autoinstallscript.conf probably you can
find<br>
some problems during the first reboot.<br>
</tt></font>
using a 2.6 kernel.<br>
&gt; Will this<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp;work ?<br>
</tt></font>
different boot package made<br>
with a 2.6 kernel. The hda -&gt; sda problem is still valid.<br>
</tt></font>
looks like the cleanest<br>
&gt; solution. I have<br>
&gt; &nbsp; downloaded the 3.9.6 tar source however I'm not sure how to
build the<br>
&gt; rpm's. I have<br>
&gt; &nbsp; looked at the online docs &quot; rpmbuild -ta tarball&quot;
however after<br>
&gt; looking at the Makefile<br>
&gt; &nbsp; I see a &quot;rpm&quot; target which does a &quot;rpmbuild
-tb&quot;. Also my machines are<br>
&gt; behind a<br>
&gt; &nbsp; firewall and can only connect to the internet via a proxy.<br>
</tt></font>
2 solutions above is surely<br>
quicker.</tt></font>
&gt; Wouldn't virtulization allow you to build both glibc versions on the<br>
&gt; same platform ?<br>
&gt;<br>
</tt></font>
don't have enough disk space<br>
free 2) probably the building process would require an entire night...
:-)<br>
</tt></font>
</tt></font>
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft<br>
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.<br>
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/<br>
--=_alternative 007CD7B487257359_=--