List:       sip-implementors
Subject:    Re: [Sip-implementors] Multiple 2xx responses
From:       "Nataraju A B" <bnataraju () kodiaknetworks ! com>
Date:       2005-12-27 13:44:19

Comments inline...

Thanks & Regards,
Nataraju A.B.
-----Original Message-----
From: thangarajan.i@flextronicssoftware.com
[mailto:thangarajan.i@flextronicssoftware.com]
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2005 2:58 PM
To: Nataraju Basavaraju; pkyzivat@cisco.com; tu-sawada@kddi.com
Cc: priya pandit; Ramya Jyoti; sip-implementors@cs.columbia.edu;
sip-implementors-bounces@cs.columbia.edu

Hi Nataraju,

This is the current usage of offer/answer model in SIP communication.

In theory, any SIP message can include session description in its
body. But not all the session description in a SIP message is an
offer or an answer. Only the session description that conforms to the
rules described in the standard track RFCs can be interpreted as an
offer or an answer. The rules how to handle offer/answer model are
currently defined in several RFCs. Unless defined in an RFC
explicitly as an offer or an answer, except ones in non-reliable
provisional response to INVITE request, a session description should
not be included in SIP messages to avoid confusions.

[ABN] I agree with you, but to make it interoperable with the existing
implementations, the 200OK received with SDP where as non-reliable 1xx
did carried the SDP.. Should be considered as a valid answer...

Even though the draft you mentioned becomes an RFC, the one mentioned in
3261 must be the baseline to support... It would be better that the new
drafts would be inline with existing RFCs unless mandatorily required
the particular change....

[ABN] we can't put a restriction on the existing implementations to
update because of the new draft/RFC being published. Yes over a period
of time we can make it mandatory to support these additional drafts/RFCs
based on criticality of the issue....

             "Nataraju

             Basavaraju"

             <bnataraju@kodiak