List:       sip-implementors
Subject:    Re: [Sip-implementors] Query for request within a dialog
From:       "Nataraju A B" <bnataraju () kodiaknetworks ! com>
Date:       2005-12-27 8:15:49

Comments inline...

Thanks & Regards,
Nataraju A.B.
-----Original Message-----
From: sip-implementors-bounces@cs.columbia.edu
[mailto:sip-implementors-bounces@cs.columbia.edu] On Behalf Of Dale R.
Worley
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 10:39 AM
To: Sip-Implementors

On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 17:43 +0530, bharat.sarvan@wipro.com wrote:
> Could any one please make me clear as to when can a UAC receive a 3XX
> response within a dialog?  And after that once I get the response of
> 3XX, what happens to the Dialog State of the UAC that receives the
> response.

I don't think anyone has discussed a scenario in which a 3xx would be
sent within a dialog.  Its apparent meaning would be to redirect the
messages within the dialog to a new destination, but that would
contradict the entire "route set and Contact" system that is laid out in
RFC 3261.

[ABN] RFC 3261 specifies that the dialog state must remain same as
earlier if the final response received was anything other than 481 / 408
or no final response at all.. hence the dialog state remains the same...

	Refer sec 14.1 of rfc3261 for details...

Upon retry on the new contacts specified in 3xx response.. it might
succeed in one of the legs... in that 200-OK response if the contact
address is different, that lead to target refresh...

But this 3xx and forking may not happen since the re-invite sent
addressed to particular UA instance instead of a generic URI....
[/ABN]

Dale