List:       silc-users
Subject:    SILC Client Testing
From:       Pekka Riikonen <priikone () iki ! fi>
Date:       2002-11-29 13:52:06

Hi,

Now that the 1.2 protocol is out there isn't anything from my part, except
emptying the TODO list from the few entries it still has and fixing bugs,
to do to the client.  As I see it, rest is up to you guys now. :)  That
means, that the testing is the only part still left undone, and this is
the part where you, users, can help in this development effort.

I have updated the test plan for SILC Client and it is available in PDF
format and Open Office Swriter format at:

	http://silcnet.org/docs/silc-client-1.0-test.pdf
	http://silcnet.org/docs/silc-client-1.0-test.sxw

The test plan includes a schedule for the testing, but I append it here
too.  The schedule isn't definitive and dates and times and such can be
changed.  If you want to participate to testing this would also be the
ideal time to give input on whether the schedule in your opinion is even
possible.  The schedule will be made by the testers eventually since they
are the ones who have to live with it.  So if you have issues on dates and
times and the length of the schedule then speak up now.

ACTION		  DATE			NOTES
Testing briefing  9.12.2002 16:00 CET	on silc-client-test channel,
					brieffing testers on practical
					testing issues, and discussing
					issues with testing, and what
					versions to use in testing.
Testing starts	  10.12.2002		Testing starts according the plan
Weekly meeting	  16.12.2002 16:00 CET	Discussing previous week
XMas		  17.12.2002-5.1.2003	No testing during this period
Weekly meeting	  6.1.2003 16:00 CET	Rehashing issues before Xmas
Testing resumes	  6.1.2003		Testing resumes according the plan
Weekly meeting	  13.1.2003 16:00 CET	Discussing previous week
Weekly meeting	  20.1.2003 16:00 CET	Discussing previous week
Round up meeting  27.1.2003 16:00 CET	Completing the testing, discussing
					issues raised during the testing,
					schedule and other issues.

The schedule amounts of total four weeks of testing, and this is get from
assumption of having at least 5 or more active testers.  If there are
less, then with the amount of stuff to test and the lack of automated
testing tools it is possible that the schedule will not hold.  With 5 or
more the testing can be split up in chunks where each perform the tests
from their chunk.  Now, this was my assumption, if you are going to do the
testing you may have some other opinion, which I'd like to hear.

Now, I mentioned automated testing tools.  Yeah, we are missing those.
The compilation and configuration tests could be probably automated 100%,
but rest of the stuff can't.  And, the compilation can't either if it
isn't done in practice, ie. somebody doing the compilation testing script
that is then run on all platforms to be tested.  Creating the automated
testing tools is its own project, but IMO we can't sit around and wait for
someone to do it and hand it over to us, and then start doing the testing.

But, one thing I need to know now is the testers.  Please, send me email,
either on mailing list or directly to my email address, so that I know how
many testers there are and who they are.  We'd need five (5). :)

Testing issues are/bill be covered also at:

	http://silcnet.org/?page=testing

	Pekka
 Pekka Riikonen                                 priikone at silcnet.org
 Secure Internet Live Conferencing (SILC)       http://silcnet.org/