List:       sidewinder
Subject:    [Sidewinder] Re: Sidewinder digest, Vol 1 #82 - 2 msgs
From:       Dave Owens <dowens () iquest ! net>
Date:       2001-11-15 17:36:47

Don,

    Yes, I've seen it, and I believe it's an unresolved 'bug' in the
product.  On the whole, I've had very positive experiences with Support,
and am happy to recommend the product to anyone; this one experience was an
exception and has never been resolved.  After letting them talk me into
first replacing the tape drive, and then the server itself, the problem
remains.  Haven't tried it since upgrading to 5.1.1.01 a couple weeks ago,
though.

    Try an "Incremental Restore" of each of the partitions following the
instructions in the manual -- my 5.1 Administration Guide explains it
starting on page 3-16.  Note the 'Caution' that you must NOT restore the
/shlib.

    Also, if you see an error message that contains 'st0: short record' it
may indicate that you didn't give the tape drive enough time to get
ready.  Give it several minutes longer than you think it should need.  Once
you get that error, it does no good to try again until after a re-boot.

    I finally gave up on tape restores after a very difficult several
months of trying to get a resolution, and was very happy that they finally
included the option to back up the configuration to a floppy -- a feature
that was part of SecureZone.

Best of luck,

Dave Owens
OASYS