List:       shibboleth-users
Subject:    Re: MetadataResolverService Initial load failed?
From:       Peter Schober <peter.schober () univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       2019-11-28 10:34:40

* Scott Gilbert <sgilbert@ucsb.edu> [2019-11-28 00:50]:
> But as par for the course I have another error and its for the very end of
> the metadata-providers.xml file. Its well formed and valid. I am not sure
> what to check.
>
> Line 332 in XML document from file
> [/opt/shibboleth-idp/conf/metadata-providers.xml] is invalid; nested
> exception is org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 332; columnNumber:
> 20; cvc-complex-type.2.3: Element 'MetadataProvider' cannot have character
> [children], because the type's content type is element-only.

Check for spurious whitespace, other than that the error message is as
precise as theoretically possible, stating both the exact location (to
the letter) and nature of the problem.

Other than that, having a metadata-providers.xml file with 300+ lines
seems to be indicative of some deeper misunderstandings or usage
anti-patterns.
But that all pales in comparison when you've been loading InCommon
metadata for years without signature checking that all, of course.

-peter