List:       security-basics
Subject:    R: strong encryption - governments denying individuals the right  to use
From:       "Valerio B." <support () selnet ! org>
Date:       2002-04-30 20:08:03

----- Original Message -----
From: Larry Offley <lucullus@telus.net>
To: Davis, Don (CPOCEUR) <don-davis@us.army.mil>; Jay D. Dyson
<jdyson@treachery.net>
Cc: Security-Basics List <security-basics@securityfocus.com>;
<Trina_Nivison@bankwest.com.au>
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 9:36 PM
Subject: Re: strong encryption - governments denying individuals the right
to use

>   "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a
>    little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety."
>        - Benjamin Franklin
>
> Fill me in on how taking encryption away from us will protect us from
them,
> as they will still have it. We have an example in your own words.
>
> From: Davis, Don

I agree totally.

Try to stop the wheel and invert the direction, because recurring to
governments, and laws, and technical solutions, doesn't stop people from
being bad or, in anyways, offensive.

But there is always an escape way : to support and stimulate development
of good human qualities , rather than fighting the bad ones, because
fighting is violence, no matter from where it comes, and violence creates
violence, while good human qualities create good human qualities.

val

> >Releasing strong encryption to the public would endanger this, as it
would
> instantly wind up in the hands of other
> >governments...  When PGP was released, it was done so from Germany, I
> think, to "get around" the problem,
> >and was immediately picked up all over the place.
>
> So basically taking away encryption from us ensures that it get
distributed
> elsewhere anyway?
>
> We need encryption. We need to protect our information. It's not even that
> want to hide my data from the government. It's more that I need to protect
> the data from our own employees, other Corporations all it takes is one
flaw
> in a OS (code red /nimda anyone) to make my data readable by the world if
> have no other means to protect myself. Trust only goes so far. Most
computer
> information theft comes from inside the corporation.
>
> Larry Offley
>
> PS Excuse any spelling I was in a hurry.

If