List:       secure-desktops
Subject:    Re: [Secure Desktops] "Secure" OS meeting?
From:       anonym <anonym () riseup ! net>
Date:       2016-10-28 18:18:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

Joanna Rutkowska:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 03:57:31PM +0200, intrigeri wrote:
>> Hi!
>
>> The idea of bringing (at least) Qubes OS, Subgraph OS and Tails people
>> together for a few days has been floating around since it was
>> suggested last year at IFF. A few of us discussed it in person last
>> week again, and since then I've talked to Gunner (Aspiration Tech)
>> about logistics.
>
>> As I see it, such an event could be a great opportunity to:
>
>>  * Get to know each other better, which can smooth
>>    future collaboration.
>>  * Share about the problems we face (both technical and organizational
>>    ones).
>>  * Share our plans for the future; in particular how much we
>>    can/should be complementary; what will all this look like 5 years
>>    from now? For example: What will be Qubes OS' target user base in
>>    2-5 years from now? How best to serve the current Tails' user base?
>>    How best to serve those who cannot switch to Qubes-Whonix, e.g.
>>    due to hardware requirements?
>>  * Discuss how to better collaborate, and to actually hack together on
>>    sharing code / integrating some of our tools and projects with
>>    each other.

Agreed so far.

>>  * Invite a few people from upstreams and related projects, such as
>>    Debian, GNOME and devops / automated testing people, who can
>>    provide useful input… and be excited by the great work we're doing.

I think we only invite "outside" people if there is a good reason. I
think we probably have enough important topics to cover for us to
already be time-constrained.

[...]
>> When we discussed this last week, one question raised was whether we
>> should have this event a) shortly before/after another one that some
>> of us want to attend anyway (e.g. Tor dev meeting), in order to lower
>> the amount of times we travel; or b) at a different time, to lower the
>> duration of our individual trips. I personally have no strong
>> preference. Have you any?

I would prefer (b). If we go with (a) this could be my forth consecutive
meeting/sprint with essentially no breaks, stretching for three weeks.
That sounds rough. And you, intrigeri, would be in the same situation,
right? :)

>> Regarding "when": would March-May 2017 be good for you?

Yes.

>> Regarding the duration & format: Gunner & I thought that 2 days of
>> meeting (hosted by himself) followed by 2-3 days of hacking would be
>> good. Thoughts?

Sounds good. Another important variable is the size of the event in
terms of number of people. Are we thinking 2-3 members from each of the
four projects + 0-2 external people = ~10 people in total?

> Hi intrigeri,
>
> I just would like to say I think this is a very good idea, IMHO :)

Agreed!

> I suggest the meeting should be an invite-only gathering, in order to minimize
> distractions.

I think this is what intrigeri meant (implied by the bullet point about
invites). If not, I agree with you.

Cheers!