List:       scilab-dev
Subject:    Re: [Scilab-Dev] Re: Building application for Windows as well as
From:       Simone Mannori <Simone.Mannori () inria ! fr>
Date:       2008-02-28 13:16:51

Dear Sirs,

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 12:30 +0200, Enrico Segre wrote:
> > I am new to scilab. I found this while I was searching for open
source
> > equivalent to Lab View.
>
> Labview is programmed visually. Scicos too, but despite Ramine's
> sisiphean efforts, the graphic editing of Scicos diagrams is nothing
> compared with that of Labview (sorry Ramine, I DO appreciate your
work,
> but it's difficult to compete with a dedicated megacorp)

I like competition: I have a brand new editor for Scicos that leave
Scilab command line free all the time. I worked on this code six months
with the help of Serge Steer.

Actually it was an idea from Serge that, at the beginning, I had
classified as "a bit too wild". Fortunately, I was wrong ;)

> Labview is for programming, simulation, display, processing, GUI,
> hardware interfacing. Scicos is only for simulation and display, so to
> say. Scilab in the more extended sense is for programming,
visualization
> (ehm) and rapid prototyping of algorithms, inclusive of some minimal
> gui.

Not exactly. For instance you can use Scicos-HIL to run simulation in
real time connection with real hardware.

> LabView interfaces very nicely with a HUGE lot of hardware, Scilab's
> hardware support is essentially nonexistent (save some very sparse
> contributions and Scicos-RTAI, via Comedi AFAIU) - and not even serial
> port...

Not exactly:
- Scicos-RTAI: the remote control panel of Scicos RTAI offer
performances similar to to LabView

- Scicos-HIL: see above

Please, don't forget Scicos-FLEX: the brand new code generator for small
embedded systems (batteries included :) )
http://www.evidence.eu.com/

the latest version, Scilab 4.1.2 compatible with native integer support
is available here:

http://www.evidence.eu.com/content/view/175/216

> Scilab's GUI building is ridiculous; Labview IS for building complex
> GUI's (Virtual instrument front panels)

Next Scilab 5.0 will implement a quite rich UICONTROL API.

> Having said that, I develop a lot in both programs, but for different
> purposes.

Me too :). I like LabView. The graphics of the control panel is
"superbe" :).

> > Scilab provides separate installation packages for Linux and
windows.

> So most any other package...
>

> > My intention is to develop application on either Windows or Linux
and
> > make executables for both Linux and Windows (executable).
>
> Scilab does not make standalone executables. FAQ.

... but you can use Scicos-FLEX or Scicos-RTAI to do that.

> > If I develop my application on Windows can I make executable for
Linux
> > too ?
> only some cross-platforms compilers do such things.
>
> > I  want to write code once and compile for both platforms. This way
I do
> > not have to maintain same code on separate OSes.

If you have any - and I say any - wild idea about Embedded and Real Time
applications, there are some people here ready to hear your voice,
because the

                   VOICE OF THE CUSTOMER (I means YOU)

it is the only things that really matter.

"Grazie Molto a" Enrico for the post : you share the name with my son.
Enrico (my son) is the mastermind beyond all my LEGO models ;)

  http://www.scicos.org/scicoshil.html

     Simone Mannori - Scilab/INRIA Rocquencourt