List:       scilab-dev
Subject:    Re: Building application for Windows as well as Linux
From:       Enrico Segre <enrico.segre () weizmann ! ac ! il>
Date:       2008-02-28 10:30:58

> I am new to scilab. I found this while I was searching for open source
> equivalent to Lab View.

Labview is programmed visually. Scicos too, but despite Ramine's
sisiphean efforts, the graphic editing of Scicos diagrams is nothing
compared with that of Labview (sorry Ramine, I DO appreciate your work,
but it's difficult to compete with a dedicated megacorp)

Labview is for programming, simulation, display, processing, GUI,
hardware interfacing. Scicos is only for simulation and display, so to
say. Scilab in the more extended sense is for programming, visualization
(ehm) and rapid prototyping of algorithms, inclusive of some minimal
gui.

LabView interfaces very nicely with a HUGE lot of hardware, Scilab's
hardware support is essentially nonexistent (save some very sparse
contributions and Scicos-RTAI, via Comedi AFAIU) - and not even serial
port...

Scilab's GUI building is ridiculous; Labview IS for building complex
GUI's (Virtual instrument front panels)

Having said that, I develop a lot in both programs, but for different
purposes.

> Scilab provides separate installation packages for Linux and windows.

So most any other package...

> My intention is to develop application on either Windows or Linux and
> make executables for both Linux and Windows (executable).

Scilab does not make standalone executables. FAQ.

> If I develop my application on Windows can I make executable for Linux
> too ?

only some cross-platforms compilers do such things.

> I  want to write code once and compile for both platforms. This way I do
> not have to maintain same code on separate OSes.

Scilab code is portable. Scilab does not compile it, but you can run
(interpreted) code in batch mode on any platform.

hth, Enrico