List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: EG4.1 - Using non-SAS data nodes
From:       Sigurd Hermansen <HERMANS1 () WESTAT ! COM>
Date:       2006-11-30 23:41:45

Tree Frog:
Welcome to the world of SAS/Access engines ....

Better to avoid turning MS SQL Server tables into SAS datasets.... A SAS
libname connection string for the OLEDB engine, or a CONNECT TO string
for 'pass-thru' queries, makes SQL Server tables serve the same function
as SAS datasets. In fact, with a libname connection string, tables to
which you have access rights appear in the Explorer window, and you can
view metadata or view the table itself.

As I recall, EG gives you the same access to a 'data node'. With full
access to the SQL Server table, you don't have any reason that I can see
to turn the data node into a SAS dataset. Simply use it as such for what
you would ordinarily do with a SAS dataset!
Sig