List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: dm command within macro
From:       "Chang Y. Chung" <chang_y_chung () HOTMAIL ! COM>
Date:       2004-12-31 17:31:47

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:40:16 +0100, A. O. Schweikert
<answer.to.newsgroup@T-ONLINE.DE> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I hav e written a little macro that runs as first statement submitting
>statements from the editor-window.
>
>%macro tmp;
>dm log 'clear';
>dm out 'clear';
>dm out 'icon';
>dm explorer 'icon';
>dm 'log';
>dm 'tile';
>%mend;
>
>%tmp;
><<< other SAS-statements >>>;
>
>When submitting this I often observe the following:
>
>a) the out-window is clearad, but the results window still shows the
>tree-entries to the deleted output-elements. This leads in following work
>an errormessage whenever the results-window is cleared ".... does not
>exist". I have not found any way to kill the empty! entries in the results
>window.
>
>b) after execution of the macro, the out-window and the explorer-window
>should be minimized. Assuming no other windows were open the editor-window
>and  the log-window should be visible and tiled. Not at all! Only one of
the
>two windows is visible and tiled. The  other window is hidden and not
tiled.

>Does anybody know the reason, why this happens and how it can be avoided.
>
>Just a few words to the background: my intention is, that I see only the
>log- and the editor-window in a tiled mode, while the SAS-statements (e.g.
>datasteps and procedures) are processed. All other windows should be
>minimized. I did not find a solution to handle this with whatever windows
>open. So the little macro above is already a compromise assuming that only
>editor-, explorer-, output- and log-windows are open. if there is an
>additional window open ( e.g. a second explorer) the macro fails to handle
>the task. Maybe that some of you can know a solution to the initial task:
>
>            iconize all windows - maximize log and editor window - tile
the
>two before execution of the rest of the statements starts.

Hi, Albrecht,

I am not an expert on sas DM but my little experience tells me that I get
more predictable results when I specify both the before and after command
window name parts like below. This also helps me avoid a situation like
going to a window and close it and being lost where I was.

Roger DeAngelis has this web page with many wonderful things about sas and
programming in geneal. Among them is his code that does very extensive
customization of sas DM and function keys -- you may find his page
helpful. http://homepage.mac.com/magdelina/.Public/utl.html

Hope this helps a little bit, at least. :-)

Cheers,
Chang

%macro preSubmit;
   dm log 'clear;' log;