List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: Predicting size of summarized dataset for every permutat
From:       HERMANS1 <hermans1 () WESTAT ! COM>
Date:       1997-11-30 18:08:18

We summarize datasets whenever possible.  The only real difficulties
occur when data contain continuous or nearly-continuous values.  Some
degree of rounding, aggregation, or other summarization of these types
of variables has to take place prior to any attempt to summarize the
dataset.  In general, simple frequencies of individual variables show
how many distinct instances of values appear in each.  From there, the
maximum number of distinct rows of values in the dataset equals the
product of the number of distinct instances per variable.  For
example, a dataset composed of 2 possible values of gender, 10 age
groups, 50 geographical regions, and 10 categories of illness could
have up to 10,000 distinct states of the 4 variables.  Nonetheless,
many data sources have significant levels of correlation among several
variables.  If, for example, females in 2 age categories living in 5
regions and in 1 illness category account for 80% of all N rows of
source data, then the maximum number of distinct states of the 4
variables becomes 10 + .2N.

Your knowledge of the source data offers the best bet for finding a
good summarization scheme.  Partitioning data into different tables
also faciliates summarization of complex datasets.  No general rule
exists for predicting the actual number of distinct states that x
variables will have.  If one existed, every dataset could be reduced
to a smaller summary dataset without any loss of information!   Sig