List:       samba-ntdom
Subject:    Re: Samba 2.0.7 and user accounts with NT
From:       Richard Sharpe <sharpe () ns ! aus ! com>
Date:       2000-12-29 21:51:00

At 09:26 AM 12/29/00 -0500, Gary McNickle wrote:

>  I've recently installed a linux box running samba 2.0.7 on our NT 4
>domain and, while it is working, I've run into a few problems that I was
>hoping someone could help with...
>
>1:  The book I have "Samba Primer Plus" seems to imply that by using the
>NT PDC as the password server for Samba and setting Samba up to use
>Domain security, I should be able to avoid having to have user accounts
>on the linux machine that match the NT accounts.  This has not proven to
>be accurate.  The only way I seem to be able to access the smb shares is
>if the user connecting has a valid account on the linux box.  Did I
>misunderstand here? Is it possible to set Samba up (securely) so that I
>dont have to have user accounts on the linux machine?

All versions of Samba, except for the Appliance Mode version, require a
local account!  You can create these automatically with a script by setting
the 'add user script' parameter.

>2:  We have development houses out of state/country that I would like
>very much for them to be able to access the Samba shares remotely.
>However, when they try (or a user tries from home), the authentication
>fails of course because the local Domain and the login Domain/Workgroup
>are different and the PDC is unable to authenticate for the remote
>domain (user unknown)... Is their a way around this that also works with
>my first question?

Not sure that Samba currently supports different domains. However, an NT
system should be able to specify the remote username and possibly even
domain, but I have never tried or looked at what happens.

>  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Sincerely,
>Gary McNickle

Regards