List:       samba
Subject:    SAMBA digest 475
From:       samba () anu ! edu ! au
Date:       1995-04-21 2:52:15

			    SAMBA Digest 475

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: Remote boot
	by Dan Shearer <itudps@lux.levels.unisa.edu.au>
  2) Some questions
	by "C.A. Lademann" <cal@zls.com>
  3) Accessing SAMBA from DOS
	by "Stephen C. Steel" <steve@qv3pluto.LeidenUniv.nl>
  4) Re: TCP/IP DOS
	by dwest@ndi.com (Dave West)
  5) 1.9.13alpha6
	by "Andrew.Tridgell" <tridge@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>
  6) Re: SAMBA digest 473
	by "Kent A. Ziebell" <ziebell@iastate.edu>
  7) Re: Some questions
	by "C. R. Oldham" <cro@socrates.ed.asu.edu>

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 15:20:32 +0930 (GMT+0930)
From: Dan Shearer <itudps@lux.levels.unisa.edu.au>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: Remote boot

"James N. Petersen" <jpeterse@che.wsu.edu> wrote:

> Is it possible to use Samba to serve remote boot clients, especially WFW or
> Win95?  We have a laboratory of diskless PC's which we now boot
> off our VAX which runs Pathworks. We would like to be able to get rid of
> the VAX and go to a Unix server.  Any pointers on how to accomplish remote
> boot with unix servers without having to use PCNFS would be appreciated.

I don't think Samba is what you want. There are other people on this list
(including Tom Ward <tom@zapata.demon.co.uk>) who like me are very
interested in the topic of remotebooting off a non-Dec, non-Microsoft box
preferably using RFC protocols.

In the first place, the ROMs you use are almost certainly talking the Dec
protocol MOP (unless you installed brand new ROMs for Pathworks 5 to boot
off using the RIPL protocol - but it doesn't sound like that is the
case.) There is no free implementation that I know of for MOP under Unix.
You will almost certainly need to replace the ROMs on your cards, and if
they are old DEPCA cards then you need to replace them as well since
nobody makes ROMs for them that speak more common protocols.

A common ROM in use is from LANWorks, a Canadian company. They make them
for quite a few card types, including 3Com 3C509. Their triple boot
product will manage three protocols, including RIPL (an IBM/Microsoft
type proprietry solution based on the DLC protocol and then bootstrapping
NetBEIU) and RFC-compliant bootp. I know which I would prefer (we are not
using it here :-) I have found LANWorks extremely difficult to
communicate with.

Another company is Delta Information Systems in Germany, and they
reputably will talk to customers! Contact details for them are:

   email   :dirk@incom.de
   TEL     :49 69 89 3000
   FAX     :49 69 89 3004

So, provided you can get yourself a bootp-capable ROM, you should be able
boot from a Unix machine. Booting Workgropups 3.11 remotely is somewhat
more tricky. Microsoft says it can't be done. I am sure it can be, and I
think I know what has to be changed. Dirk from Delta apparently says he
can do it too.

Microsoft seem to be slipping with their aims for remotebooting Win95,
and haven't said that they'll be supporting bootp to my knowledge. Their
Windows NT Server remoteboot implementation is less flexible than their
very old LAN Manager solution (for which there is a doc at
ftp://lux.levels.unisa.edu.au/pub/docs/rpl.doc, BTW.)

I would like to discuss with people (off this list, I guess) more about
getting a reliable diskless Workgroups and/or Win95 solution going using
bootp.  Combined with Samba I believe it will make a lot of headaches
disappear on our LAN, and many others too.

--
 Dan Shearer                            email: Dan.Shearer@UniSA.edu.au
 Information Technology Unit            Phone: +61 8 302 3479

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 08:52:17 +0200 (MESZ)
From: "C.A. Lademann" <cal@zls.com>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Some questions

Hi.

I have some questions that may or may not be samba-related.

1. Are there any hints about how to print on the printer of the PC
   (MS-DOS or WfWg) from Unix?

2. Has anybody experience on how to install PC-LanManager together with any
   commercial PC-TCP/IP-package (terminal-emulation via TCP/IP, etc.)?

3. Does anybody know where I can find PC-LanManager-documentation?

4. Is there any smb-client-program for Apple-Macintosh (functional equivalence
   to PC-LanManager) ?

Any hints are appreciated. Please e-mail <cal@zls.com>, if answers do not
belong to this list.

Thanks.

Christian.

Christian A. Lademann                             EMail: <cal@zls.com>
--------------------- speaking from, not for: ------------------------
    ZLS Software GmbH                         Tel.:  (+49) 6195 900500
     D-65779 Kelkheim                         Fax:   (+49) 6195 900600

------------------------------

Date:          Thu, 20 Apr 1995 08:45:41 +0100
From: "Stephen C. Steel" <steve@qv3pluto.LeidenUniv.nl>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Cc: davidd@specialix.co.uk
Subject: Accessing SAMBA from DOS

On Wed, 19 Apr 1995 David Dix <davidd@specialix.co.uk> wrote:

> Has anyone out there been able to get the TCP/IP32 extension for
> WfW to work under DOS?

MS-TCPIP-32 is a 32 bit protected mode VxD driver. It does not
run under DOS.

> A co-worker has been trying to set up a DOS/WfW PC that can mount
> Samba drives either from within a WfW session or just from DOS.
> When he just boots into DOS and types "NET LOGON" he is able to
> connect to any other WfW or NT shared drive, but is unable to
> connect to any Samba shared drive. When he runs WfW he is able to
> attach to either a WfW shared drive or a Samba shared drive.

You probably have the NetBEUI protocol installed as well (this works
both under DOS and under WFWG (if you install the real mode
drivers). SAMBA only understands TCP/IP (and TCPIP-32 only works
when you're in WFWG).

> How can he set up the net commands to allow him to mount Samba
> drives from DOS?

You'll have to use a real mode (16 bit) TCP/IP stack (there is one
somewhere on ftp.microsoft.com), or settle for accessing SAMBA
servers from DOS windows under TCP/IP. However, if you load only the
protected mode network card drivers you'll have more conventional
memory available (but no networking when WFWG isn't running).

Good luck,

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 08:14:59 -0500 (EST)
From: dwest@ndi.com (Dave West)
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: TCP/IP DOS

We're running it here. You need MS TCP/IP(Dated 12-20-83) not Wolv or
32b. And workgroup connection diskes. I disable netbui entirely so that
TCP/IP was the only protocol. I works fine so far.

Dave
dwest@ndi.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 22:46:19 +1000
From: "Andrew.Tridgell" <tridge@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>
To: samba@anugpo.anu.edu.au
Subject: 1.9.13alpha6

There were a couple of serious bugs in 1.9.13alpha4 and
1.9.13alpha5. The symptoms included not being able to write
files. alpha5 could even cause file corruption with some programs.
Remember that alpha releases are basically untested code!

I have now released 1.9.13alpha6. This seems to be doing well so far,
but please be aware that this series of alphas has some quite large
changes from the previous releases, so there are quite likely to still
be bugs. I need people to test things to find the bugs, but don't put
it into production use just yet!

Many thanks to those people who have tried these versions and have
reported the bugs.

Andrew

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 08:37:28 CDT
From: "Kent A. Ziebell" <ziebell@iastate.edu>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: Re: SAMBA digest 473

>Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 8:12:04 +0100 (BST)
>From: David Dix <davidd@specialix.co.uk>
>To: samba@anu.edu.au
>Subject: SAMBA digest 470
>
>Has anyone out there been able to get the TCP/IP32 extension for WfW to work
>under DOS?
>
>A co-worker has been trying to set up a DOS/WfW PC that can mount Samba drives
>either from within a WfW session or just from DOS. When he just boots into
>DOS and types "NET LOGON" he is able to connect to any other WfW or NT shared
>drive, but is unable to connect to any Samba shared drive. When he runs WfW
>he is able to attach to either a WfW shared drive or a Samba shared drive.
>
>How can he set up the net commands to allow him to mount Samba drives from DOS
>------------------------------

 I have had a similar experience.  I have a setup which requires that I mount
 Samba drives from DOS, and after many attempts of trying to use TCP/IP32
 extension for WFW, I finally gave up.  Instead I had to use MS LAN Manager
 Enhanced Software for MS-DOS Clients, which can be ftp'd from
 ftp.microsoft.com .  I was then able to connect from DOS to Samba drives.
 Kent A. Ziebell                              ziebell@iastate.edu
 249 Durham Center                            gg.kaz@isumvs.bitnet
 Iowa State University Computation Center     voice: (515) 294-9607
 Ames, Iowa 50011                             fax:   (515) 294-1717

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 07:20:39 -0700 (MST)
From: "C. R. Oldham" <cro@socrates.ed.asu.edu>
To: "C.A. Lademann" <cal@zls.com>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <samba@anugpo.anu.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Some questions

On Thu, 20 Apr 1995, C.A. Lademann wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have some questions that may or may not be samba-related.
>
> 1. Are there any hints about how to print on the printer of the PC
>    (MS-DOS or WfWg) from Unix?

Yes.  Run an lpd daemon on your Dos box.  There are several TSR-style
lpd's out there I think.  Then add an entry for a remote printer on your
Unix machine and the printer will become available via samba.

We do this here, but all our machines run OS/2.

> 4. Is there any smb-client-program for Apple-Macintosh (functional equivalence
>    to PC-LanManager) ?

No.  Check into CAP or Netatalk for Unix.

--
| Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham | North Central Association               |
| cro@socrates.ed.asu.edu or| Commission on Schools                   |