List:       samba
Subject:    SAMBA digest 474
From:       samba () anu ! edu ! au
Date:       1995-04-20 14:52:14

			    SAMBA Digest 474

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Accessing samba from DOS (without WfWg)
	by "Stefaan A. Eeckels" <Stefaan.Eeckels@eunet.lu>
  2) How to participate in 2 workgroups?
	by "John T. Foley" <jfoley@meceng.coe.neu.edu>
  3) Re: Program/file auditing
	by "Andrew.Tridgell" <tridge@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 22:41:31 +0100 (WET DST)
From: "Stefaan A. Eeckels" <Stefaan.Eeckels@eunet.lu>
To: David Dix <davidd@specialix.co.uk>
Subject: Accessing samba from DOS (without WfWg)

David,

Access to samba is through TCP/IP as supporting protocol.
Your colleague can access NT or WfWg machines from DOS 'cause this
uses ONLY NetBEUI, not TCP/IP (the MS Wolverine stack runs
only in Windows...) I fear he'll have to use a DOS box.
I tried the NET commands in a DOS box and they work OK.

 Stefaan A. Eeckels                       Stefaan.Eeckels@eunet.lu
 Stefaan's Law:
  The quality of a document is in inverse proportion to the number
                       of acronyms in it.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 19:10:01 -0400
From: "John T. Foley" <jfoley@meceng.coe.neu.edu>
To: samba@anu.edu.au
Subject: How to participate in 2 workgroups?

	I am able to have a server participate in a second workgroup
accross subnets, and speed is good across my T1 (Nice fast remote office 8)

	My question is, can I make a server participate in 2 workgroups on
the same subnet? I tried having two "G" lines in lmhosts, and log.nmb reports
finding master servers for both local groups, but the server only appears in
one browse list.

	Is this a Lanmanager/windows thing (ie does protocol prevent having
two identical machine names in different groups?)

				John

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 14:41:35 +1000
From: "Andrew.Tridgell" <tridge@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>
To: Michael.Brown@tvl.soils.csiro.au
Subject: Re: Program/file auditing

   the number of read request made based on buffer size.  Can a request for a
   file be recorded easily in one log line with:
	   file name requested
	   requested by whome
	   time & date

Ok, for 1.9.13alpha6 I have added a level 2 log entry of that form.

   If so I then ask the next question,  can one then lock a file for use by
   upto say 10 people???

That's more difficult. Mostly clients open an application, read it,
then close it again, not keeping it open while the application is
running. How can Samba tell if someone is still using it?

There is a "max connections" option, but that applies to a whole
share, not one file.

I'm open to suggestions.

Andrew